Mission Yuppie Eradication Project
The Mission Yuppie Eradication Project was a grassroots movement in San Francisco that was working to raise awareness about gentrification issues. We created this support page so that international supporters of the project can stay informed. The Yuppie dot-com lifestyle must be fought and eliminated, because if it is left unchecked, it will eventually ruin our neighborhoods, our cities, and our planet.
When working families, artists, and lifelong residents of San Francisco neighborhoods are being evicted from their homes by Silicon Valley tech workers, it's time for people to fight back!
- San Francisco 'dot-commies' hire guards to stop art attacks
- Mock Tears For Eviction Victims. After 3 do-nothing years Brown is now incensed
- San Francisco: Shopping for Property with an Anarchist Activist
- S.F. Arts Groups Face Tsunami of Rising Rents
- The Bay Area's 45 Worst Slumlords, Real Estate Speculators, Gentrification Profitteers and Other Contributors to the Housing Crisis
- O'Donoghue tries to escape media group's list of housing profiteers
MYEP in the News
- How the Internet ruined San Francisco [10-28-1999 / Salon]
- Another essay on gentrification in San Francisco [10-29-1999 / Salon]
- Anti-yuppie crusader appears in court [7-23-1999 / S.F. Examiner]
- YUPPIE SCUM SAY: "DIE YUPPIE SCUM!" [7-7-1999 / SUCK]
- Yuppies imperil pocket of San Francisco [7-19-1999 / Philadelphia Inquirer]
- San Francisco's 'Home $weet Home' Dilemma [6-9-1999 / CNN]
- Wag the Mission [6-9-1999 / S.F. Weekly]
- Stop the Hate! [6-9-1999 / S.F. Weekly]
- Mission fear and trembling [6-8-1999 / S.F. Examiner]
- The unpopular crowd, Mission-style [6-8-1999 / S.F. Examiner]
- A very lame editorial from a liberal journalist. Doesn't she understand that Yuppies live a violent lifestyle?
- Battle Over Gentrification Gets Ugly in S.F.'s Mission. Anarchist arrested, charged with making threats [6-7-1999 / S.F. Chronicle]
- Cultural friction in Mission District [6-4-1999 / S.F. Examiner]
- Update on Kevin Keating from the Mission Yuppie Eradication Project [S.F. Weekly]
- Police arrest Mission's anti-yuppie crusader: They say they found books on bomb-making [S.F. Examiner]
- Anarchy in the U.S.A. [S.F. Weekly]
- "As for the Original Pseudonymous, Postering Anarchist ... " [S.F. Weekly]
- The Mission Yuppie Eradication Project, Up Close and Personal [S.F. Weekly]
Works by Kevin Keating
"But gentrification isn't just obnoxious yuppies bouncing from cocktail lounges to sushi bars around Valencia and 16th streets. It also involves the systematic removal of working-class people from their homes."
Flyers, Rants and Graphics from MYEP
- Disaster Corts the Mission By Nestor Makhno
Tips on Making Yuppies Pay
- Vandalize their cars: Mercedes, Lexus, Porsche, Jaguar, and anything that your family wouldn't be able to afford.
- Throw shit at Yuppies as they drive by, especially if they are on their cell phones.
- Don't patronize Yuppie establishments.
- If you are sitting with friends near Yuppies, spread rumors about increasing crime in the neighborhood.
- Organize your community against developers who help gentrification.
- Organize your co-workers against your Yuppie boss.
- Work with your neighbors to find out who owns what in your neighborhood
- When Yuppies invade it means higher rents, so organize a neighborhood Tenant's Association to keep a lid on rents.
- Don't listen to Yuppie radio stations, which includes your local NPR affiliates.