We Don't Need the Police
Anarchists by nature are anti-authoritarians. So it's pretty obvious why we don't like police, the military, prisons, etc. We tend to think that the best cop is an unemployed one. If cops were true to their mission, they'd be trying to figure out how to put themselves out of work. Since our capitalist societies, with their increasing disparities in income, are responsible for much of crime, it's pretty obvious from the lack of talk by cops and society about this that they don't take their jobs very seriously. Crime is also caused by other factors: individuals psychologically and physiologically damaged by their upbringing and environment, crusades against drugs and other bugaboos, crimes defined by morals police, and crimes defined by legislators.
The most important reason for the existence of police is the need to protect our capitalist society. Police defend those with money. They are necessary in order to police those who don't like being poor. This page will, in the future, elaborate on this.
Please join us in our quest create a society where police are unnecessary.
Click here for the latest news about the police and police brutality.
Police Harassment of Activists
Activists in Trouble with the Law
- Cry of Love
- Don't Talk to Cops!
- October 22nd Coalition
- Police Accountability Campaign
- Top 10 Signs You Are Being Set Up By An Undercover Cop
Cop Watch Network
- Angela Davis Copwatch (Milwaukee)
- Cop Watch - Livermore, CA
- Cop Watch - New Jersey
- Cop Watch - New York City
- Cop Watch - Phoenix
- Cop Watch - Washington, DC
- Cop Watch Links
Anti-Police Brutality Organizations
- To remember those killed by the police.
- This shouldn't surprise anybody who reads The Match!, which has been documenting the fascists in Tucson for over 20 years.
- Action For Police Accountability [San Francisco]
- Berkeley Copwatch
- Cry of Love
- Families to Amend California's 3-Strikes
- FUBAR Polymedia
- Livermore Police CopWatch
- Massachusetts Police Brutality
- National Coalition on Police Accountability
- National Day of Protest to Stop Police Brutality
- Portland Copwatch
- Stolen Lives Project
- Stop Police Brutality [Refuse and Resist]
- Tucson Arizona police brutality
- Yahoo's Police Brutality Links
Anarchism on the Police
- Why are anarchists against authority and hierarchy?
- What are the effects of authoritarian social relationships?
- Is capitalism hierarchical?
- What kind of hierarchy of values does capitalism create?
- Why do racism and sexism exist?
- How is the mass-psychological basis for authoritarian civilization created?
- AUTHORITY: LEGITIMATE AND ILLEGITIMATE
Anarchism on Crime
What You Can Do About the Police
- Start a Cop Watch group in your area
- Find out the facts about crime (the threat has been overstated)and share them with members of your community
- If proposals come up locally to fund more police, go to the meetings and speak against the funding.
- Confront public officials in public and ask them why they lie about crime.
- Teach your children to question authority.
- Speak out against DARE anti-drug programs in your local schools. They have been proven not to work and they exist primarily to put a good face on the police.
- Stand up against the death penalty.